Contraindications for Electrical Stimulation and Health Hints What You Should Absolutely Watch Out for When Using TENS Contraindications for Electrical Stimulation and Health... read more Show less text
Contraindications for Electrical Stimulation and Health Hints
Like other forms of therapy, TENS/EMS is only as good as the devices used and the goodness of the application. So, consult a doctor or therapist and observe the instructions for use. TENS will then be a practically side effect-free pain therapy. Skin irritations may occasionally occur, but these are usually caused by selecting too high an intensity. They will also quickly fade away without any further action.
What You Should Absolutely Watch Out for When Using TENS
The following points should at all costs be taken into account in TENS or EMS applications:
- There might be interference with heart pacemakers. A stimulation current treatment, especially in the upper body region, should therefore always take place under medical supervision.
- Even with healthy people, the stimulation current should not be operating directly over the heart.
- The TENS electrodes may NOT be applied over the carotid arteries in the head or neck.
- Do not place TENS electrodes at the larynx.
- Avoid the use of stimulation current in the vicinity of larger metal implants.
- TENS is not suitable for epileptics.
- Stimulation current applications during pregnancy may only be carried out under medical supervision.
- Do not apply electrodes over open wounds, inflammations or morbid swellings.
- Use only clean electrodes or probes suitable for the respective area of the body.
Learn more about our TENS devices or our TENS accessories.