Shoulder taping with kinesiology tape
Shoulder taping as ideal support for sports
The anatomical structure of the shoulder is very complex, which is mainly related to the everyday demands on this part of the body. Tension and minor restrictions of movement are therefore not uncommon. In the case of long-lasting shoulder pain and restricted mobility, you should first consult a doctor who can initiate treatment steps in good time in the event of a serious injury. If there is no serious injury, the application of kinesiology tape can help you to increase mobility and give your shoulder joint more stability. Taping the shoulder is ideal for support during sports.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact our trained advisors at email@example.com or +49 7152 - 353 911 - 0.
Our kinesiology tape recommendations
You need these types of kinesiology tape for the application on the shoulder
As kinesiology tape is suitable for a variety of applications on different parts of the body, some applications require the tape strips to be cut to size. You can choose the colours of the kinesiology tape according to your taste.
Our kinesiology tapes are uncut on a roll and can therefore be cut individually. As a guideline for the I- and Y-Tapes, we recommend 25 cm long tape strips. For some applications, such as on the wrist, you can also use shorter tape strips. Some applications require the tape bandage to be applied with tension.
Shoulder taping: Step 1
Take the Y-Tape and apply it with the wide side just below the shoulder joint. Now guide the two narrow strips of kinesiology tape in an arc around the shoulder joint until they overlap above.
Shoulder taping: Step 2
Take the first I-Tape and stick this vertically and centrally over the shoulder. The length of the kinesiology tape strip can be chosen so that the respective end points correspond to those of the Y-tape from step 1. For taping several strips on top of each other, it is recommended to use tapes with different colours.
Shoulder taping: Step 3
Take the last strip of kinesiology tape and stick it across the shoulder joint. Finally, rub the tape strips several times to activate the adhesive through the frictional heat and to allow the full effect of the tape to unfold on the shoulder.
Tips before the application of kinesiology tape on your shoulders
- Make sure that your skin on the shoulder where you want to apply the kinesiology tape is dry and clean before taping.
- Use scissors to round off the edges before taping so that the corners do not peel off so quickly during application. With a little practice, the shoulder can be taped on its own. If you have another person by your side, you can ask them to apply the kinesiology tape to your shoulder.
- After you have applied the tape, rub the tape strips several times. The frictional heat helps the adhesive to stick better.
- It is normal and also intended that ripples form on the tape after application during muscle relaxation. These are even intentional and are called convolutions. Predominantly, these wrinkles appear on the kinesiology tape when lifting the arms, when the skin on the shoulder is relaxed.
Benefits of kinesiology tapes
Due to many positive reports from patients, kinesiology tape is also frequently used by physiotherapists. Besides the minimal possible side effects when used correctly, it helps a number of patients with shoulder pain or rotator cuff injuries. This is what distinguishes the tape bandage in different colours:
- Waterproof and breathable, so you can shower and swim for several days during application.
- Good skin compatibility, as acrylic adhesive is used for the adhesive surface.
- In the case of restricted shoulder movement and tension, the supporting and stabilising effect of the tape can make it possible to move more comfortably, for example to do sports.
- Due to the elasticity of the tape, the tension during application can be varied and adapted to the needs of the body part, e.g. when using kinesiology tape on the shoulder joint.
Important note before taping
To ensure the compatibility of the kinesiology tape with your skin, we recommend that you test a small piece of tape on your skin beforehand and leave it there for about 30 minutes.
If you experience itching or an allergic reaction, remove the kinesiology tape and stop the treatment.
The world of axion
We are happy to advise you
You still have questions about kinesiology tape? Do not hesitate to contact us!