Elbow taping with kinesiology tape
We often put a lot of strain, mostly one-sided, on our elbows in everyday life, which is why it often leads to tension, hardening and other painful feelings. Such pain can limit us enormously in everyday life. Kinesiology tape can be used to give the elbow stability and limit painful movements without immobilising the entire elbow joint.
Both pre-cut and tapes on a roll are suitable for use on the elbow
You need these types of tape for taping the elbow
As kinesiology tape is suitable for a variety of applications on different parts of the body, some applications require the tape strips to be cut to size. You can choose the colours of the kinesiology tape according to your personal taste.
Kinesiology tapes are available as pre-cut pre-cuts or uncut on a roll, which can therefore be cut individually. As a guideline for the I- and Y-tapes, we recommend 25 cm long tape strips. For some applications, e.g. on the wrist, you can also use shorter tape strips. Some applications require the tape to be applied with tension.
For taping the elbow, both pre-cut tapes and the uncut kinesiology tape on a roll are suitable.
Elbow taping: Step 1
Hold the arm on which you want to tape your elbow at about a 90 degree angle. Apply the first I-Tape with the beginning of the tape in the centre and slightly above the elbow joint without pulling. Rub briefly over the starting point to activate the adhesive. Now apply the tape around the elbow joint on the outside of the elbow with light tension and a slight curve. The end of the kinesiology tape is again applied without tension in the middle below the elbow joint, approximately parallel to the beginning.
Elbow taping: Step 2
Take the second I-Tape. You can take a different colour of kinesiology tape or the same as the first taping step. The application of the tape is identical to the first step, except that you now apply the tape on the inside of the elbow. At the end, stroke the kinesiology tape on the elbow several times from the inside to the outside so that the adhesive power can develop optimally due to the frictional heat.
Tips before application on the elbow
- Make sure that your skin around the elbow is dry and clean before taping. It is advisable to shave the area around the elbow before application if you have a lot of hair, so that the kinesiology tape holds better and removal after application is more comfortable.
- Round off the edges with scissors before taping the elbow so that the corners do not peel off so quickly. You do not need to do this with pre-cut kinesiology tapes as the corners are already rounded. Some applications can be taped comfortably by yourself, for some applications you should ask another person for support. The application of the kinesiology tape for the elbow can also be done alone with a little practice, if you have a helping hand at your side, this makes the taping of the elbow easier.
- After applying the tape, rub the tape on the elbow several times to activate the adhesive.
- It is normal and also intended that waves can form on the tape after application during muscle relaxation. These are even intentional and are called convolutions. These mainly occur when stretching the elbow.
Benefits of kinesiology tape
Due to many positive testimonials from patients, kinesiology tape is also often used by physiotherapists for problems with the elbow joint. Kinesiology tape can also be used for golfer's elbow. Besides the minimal possible side effects when used correctly, it helps a number of patients with irritation in the elbow or to support mobility. This is what distinguishes the tape bandage in different colours:
- Waterproof and breathable, which you can also swim or shower with.
- Skin-friendly, as the adhesive surface is latex-free. Due to its adhesive strength, you can leave the tape bandage on your elbow for several days.
- In case of unpleasant movements or movement restrictions in the elbow, the supporting and stabilising effect of the tape can enable a more comfortable movement, for example, to do sports or to make everyday life easier.
- Due to the elasticity of the tape, the tension in the elbow area can be varied and adapted to the needs of the body part. Depending on the desired stabilisation or restriction of painful movements at the elbow, you can adjust the pre-stretching of the kinesiology tape when applying it.
Important note before taping
To ensure the compatibility of the kinesiology tape with your skin, we recommend that you test a small piece of tape on your skin beforehand and leave it there for about 30 minutes.
If you experience itching or an allergic reaction, remove the kinesiology tape and stop the treatment.