What you should consider before buying an EMS machine
What EMS machine do I need?
Before you decide on an EMS machine, you should first inform yourself about electrical muscle stimulation and its range of application. First of all, note the following principle:
EMS is not the same as TENS! However, both therapy options can be used together to prevent pain. You can find more information under TENS in combination with EMS or on our guide pages: TENS Guide and EMS Guide.
When looking for an appropriate stimulation current device, you will often come across both terms. You will find pure EMS machines as well as pure TENS machines (e.g. the TENS machine STIM-PRO T-400) and also smart EMS-TENS combo machines (e.g. the TENS EMS combo machine STIM-PRO X9).
With electrical muscle stimulation (EMS), you can always concentrate on training and strengthening muscles (EMS muscle training for short). Whereas TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) can help you with pain relief. Both a TENS machine and an EMS machine can also be used for massage as well as wellness purposes. What these devices have in common is that they all work with electrical impulses.
The various EMS machines differ in terms of functionality, so you can choose the device that best suits your needs.
EMS device and electrode recommendations
Note that electrical muscle stimulation can be dangerous if you are pregnant, have certain chronic or serious illnesses, and have a pacemaker or metallic implants. Consult your doctor before using an EMS device.
Functionality of EMS machines with stimulation current
EMS machines send out current pulses to muscle stimulator pads that stick to your skin. Where the current pulses hit your body, they stimulate the muscles located under the skin. This is also referred to as the muscles contracting. The contractions as well as the pauses in between last several seconds (deviations are conceivable with special training programmes) and your muscles are effectively trained by the specific tensing as well as relaxing and muscles can be built up and fat can be reduced. Exercising with EMS training is usually painless and you will experience a vibration that is sometimes weaker and sometimes stronger. If it hurts, reduce the intensity. If you continue to feel discomfort, stop the training.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our EMS experts will be happy to help you. Call us at +49 7152 - 353 911 - 0 or send us an email at email@example.com.
Your advantages with EMS machines from axion
You have various advantages when you choose EMS machines from axion:
- They are officially tested and certified medical products.
- You have access to a wide range of tried and tested EMS programmes - optimised for your individual needs
- You will immediately understand how to use the stimulation current device correctly after purchase. The operation is intuitive and comprehensible. Alternatively, you can contact us at any time. Our experienced medical product consultants will be happy to help you.
- The EMS machines all also contain TENS functions. With this, you can relieve pain in case of injuries or painful muscles caused by overstraining. Find out more about TENS in combination with EMS here.
- There are detailed and easy-to-understand instructions on the correct placement of the pads. Here you will also find an overview of all EMS electrode placements and applications.
- We offer you a personal consultation - before, during and after the purchase of an EMS machine.
- You can test the EMS machines risk-free for one month. If you are dissatisfied, we will take the stimulation current device back without any ifs and buts. The purchase price will be refunded in full.
- The axion EMS machines are robust and reliable. Benefit from our 2-year guarantee.
Find the right muscle stimulator pads
We have a large selection of TENS EMS pads. While you should use special pads for TENS applications such as the neck pad, the pad for joints or the large pad for back pain, universal pads are more suitable for EMS applications and can be used for training different muscle groups. You can find more information in our TENS EMS pads guide. Here you can see the most popular pads for EMS training:
5x5 cm universal pads
Square EMS pads, which are included with our EMS machines, can be used for applications all over the body. You can use these pads for just about any application.
10x5 cm universal pads
You can use large and rectangular EMS pads for large-area muscle stimulation, such as on the thigh or back.
4x4 cm universal pads
With the 4x4 cm universal pad you can train especially small muscle groups for which the 5x5 cm pads are too large. So you can use 4x4 cm pads especially for forearm training.
We are proud of our customer satisfaction. See for yourself
How many channels do I need?
There are EMS machines with two or four channels. The more channels a device has, the more muscles you can train at the same time. At axion you will find the premium EMS machine with four channels, which allows you to train efficiently and save time.
You can always use twice as many pads as the stimulation current device has channels available.
- A two-channel stimulation current device with four pads is enough to train a slightly larger muscle area, for example the chest or leg muscles. You can also use it to train smaller muscles, such as the biceps, symmetrically on both sides.
- The four-channel stimulation current device with eight pads is universally suitable for all muscle groups and the ideal supplement for your daily fitness. For example, it is perfect for training the large abdominal area symmetrically and defining the six-pack.
How many training programs do I need?
The fact is that it is not the sheer number of training programs in an EMS machine that is decisive, but the number of programs that are really relevant for you. Before you buy an EMS machine, think about where on your body you primarily want to use it. Then look at which EMS machines offer the appropriate training programs for the body regions. You may be interested in an EMS machine that has only ten programs, if it has the ideal programs to help you achieve your goals.
Manual settings for correct muscle stimulation in EMS applications
In addition to the recommended programmes, there are many other variables that can be influenced to enable the most individual pain relief possible. With the help of the TENS/EMS combo machine STIM-PRO-X9, the following settings can be adjusted:
- Frequency and pulse duration for muscle building and endurance.
- EMS - parameters
- The pulse duration
- The intensity
- The rise and fall time (ramp)
- The duration of the contraction
- The duration of the pauses (OFF)
- The waveform
With this range of options, you may initially be at a loss as to which variables are best suited to your individual case. For this purpose, there is our detailed page "the right setting for your device", which gives you an overview of the individual variables and their possible applications. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at any time. our EMS experts will be happy to help you.
The TENS world of axion
EMS device with matching electrodes
We are happy to advise you
Do you still have questions about EMS devices? Our expert advisors are there for you!
 Prof. Dr. Kemmler von der Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg beantwortet die wichtigsten Fragen zum EMS-Training. (2017). newsystEMS. https://www.newsystems.online/wissenschaft/prof-dr-kemmler-von-der-universitaet-erlangen-nuernberg-beantwortet-die-wichtigsten-fragen-zum-ems-training/
 Boeckh-Behrens W, Treu S (2002) Vergleich der Trainingseffekte von konventionellem Training, maxxF und EMS-Training in den Bereichen Körperzusammensetzung, Körperformung, Kraftentwicklung, Psyche und Befindlichkeit. Sportwissenschaft Universität Bayreuth, 2002. Nicht veröffentlicht. Online verfügbar: https://www.speed-fit.de/download/pdf/studien/studie_03.pdf
What our customers say